Here's some of my favorite oddities in Music, Literature, Movies and more for your perusal and edification. Hope you enjoy them! I do.



Thursday, May 6, 2010

The REAL Beowulf

Sometimes when I'm spending a lot of time in my car I go off to the library and get me some books on tape. I like 'em. Most radio is moronic and irritating, and sometimes I don't want to listen to music anyway. Books on tape are like having someone read you a story as you're driving, which I think is cool. Plus, I often check out things I wouldn't ordinarily read...it's a different format, it just works out that way. This week I'm listening to the original Norse Saga of Beowulf. Translated into English of course, I'm not crazy really. I can hear the ancient rhythms when I listen, sort of imagine what it would be like to be in those old Viking halls listening to some bard laying the story down for the mead-drinking warriors there. Weird and stately stuff, but action-packed as well...Beowulf (the hero, not me) is like the ultimate badass...swimming in the open sea for days at a time, kicking sea monster ass, sailing to Denmark and TEARING THE ARM OFF the giant man-eating demon Grendel, then battling his even bigger and more pissed-off Mom (Grendel's Mom, not Beowulf's), amongst other manly deeds. Not things I would do myself, but pretty cool stuff! Wonder what I'll pick up next...

No comments:

Post a Comment