Here's some of my favorite oddities in Music, Literature, Movies and more for your perusal and edification. Hope you enjoy them! I do.



Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Music In The Key Of Oscar

Watching the documentary movie Music In The Key Of Oscar, which has footage of Oscar Peterson and his classic jazz trio with Ray Brown and Herb Ellis. I'm taken with how each of these musicians helped shape my life...Oscar's "Sound Of The Trio" was the first album I owned that made me really want to play jazz; Ray Brown was the guy that made me want to play upright bass; and Herb Ellis' method book was the one that opened up the swing guitar thing for me. Strange that they all played together in the quintessential jazz trio.

Another wonderful thing in this movie is the interviews, which show that these are not only some of the greatest musicians in the world, but that they're intelligent, well-spoken and super nice guys. The obvious affection and respect that they have for each other is incredibly charming, and says a lot about the bonds that form with the right musicians working together. Their reminiscences about traveling as an interracial trio in the deep south, and in the 50s and 60s, are very moving.

Plus, this movie has both vintage and more recent clips of the trio playing, and playing REALLY well! If you have any love of jazz (or even just a bit of curiosity about the genre) this is a treat. If I gave stars for stuff this would have a good-sized galaxy.

Here's a bit of the trio playing in 1958...amazing...

No comments:

Post a Comment