Here's some of my favorite oddities in Music, Literature, Movies and more for your perusal and edification. Hope you enjoy them! I do.



Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pogo



Pogo is the title and central character of a long-running (1948–1975) daily comic strip created by Walt Kelly and distributed by the Post-Hall Syndicate. Set in the Okefenokee Swamp of the southeastern United States, the strip often engages in social and political satire through the adventures of its anthropomorphic funny animal characters.

Pogo combined both sophisticated wit and slapstick physical comedy in a heady mix of allegory, Irish poetry, literary whimsy, puns and wordplay, lushly detailed artwork, irresistible characters and broad burlesque humor. The same series of strips can be enjoyed on different levels both by young children and by savvy adults. The strip earned Kelly a Reuben Award in 1951.
(Quote from Wikipedia)

...Pogo and his pals shaped my young life in the 50s and early 60s. When I first went to kindergarten I was actually speaking fluent Pogoese, and my teachers were concerned that my language skills were really screwed up. But I was living for a large part in the Okefenokee of my imagination, with Albert Alligator, Howland Owl, Churchy LaFemme and of course Pogo Possum. Re-reading them now, I'm impressed with what good taste I had back then, and how well they entertain in an adult context. They're clever, endearing and funny as hell. Kelly's artwork inspired a slew of other artists, notably the creators of Calvin & Hobbes and Frazz, both of whom owe a lot to him in both line quality and humor. But the original is still the real thing...I feel sorry for Boomers and Later Gens that didn't get a chance to experience Pogo. It's like not getting a vital nutrient early in life. However, there are fortunately lots of reprint collections available! There's still time kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment