Here's some of my favorite oddities in Music, Literature, Movies and more for your perusal and edification. Hope you enjoy them! I do.



Monday, March 29, 2010

Roadside America

When I was young (many millennia ago in the Jurassic age) my folks would take us on annual trips to visit their parents in Montana. On the way, the highway billboards would advertise amazing, magical places like Seashell City or Wall Drug or Reptile House or Mystery Spot, strange locations that I desperately wanted to visit. We would stop for these wonderful haunts all too rarely, and they were highlights in my memories of those travels (well, that and things like my Dad trying to get close-up photos of buffalo...something he found inadvisable quite quickly).

I was really pleased to find Roadside America, a website that loves the same kinds of crazy Americana that I do. It still lives on our highways, although somewhat diminished with the times...and RA also celebrates the wonderfully weird stuff that you can still find all over the US, bizarre and delightful locations like Pet Cemeteries, Giant Paul Bunyans, homemade Stonehenge's, 2-story outhouses and unlikely statues of every description. Plus many museums that must be seen to be believed.

One wonderful thing about the RA website is that it has a function that allows you to plan your trip around various wild and wacky attractions that might just make your next road excursion something really special. I mean, who doesn't want to see the Nun Doll Museum, the Giant Neon Kielbasa, the Upside Down Stove Restaurant and Bar,
the Hiawatha Statue, Mr. Chicken the Plastic-Legged Rooster, or Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum? And hey, those are only a few wonders available just here in Michigan! You better get movin'. Check out Roadside America at:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment