Here's some of my favorite oddities in Music, Literature, Movies and more for your perusal and edification. Hope you enjoy them! I do.



Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Adventures Of Prince Achmed

This film was created by groundbreaking animator Lotte Reiniger, all in laborious stop motion, back in 1926. Not only is it the first animation of its kind as far as I can tell, but its detail and artistry are unbelievable. The few clips I'll post can't really give you any idea of the beautiful detail involved, I'd highly recommend renting or buying a copy and watching it on a good full-sized screen. As I said, the attention to movement, facial expression and composition make this far ahead of its time...and the shadow-puppet silhouette animation adds to the period charm. Plus, it's a rockin' tale of Magic, Love, Flying Mechanical Horses and Beautiful Women Who Turn Into Birds! Great stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment